Friday, March 16, 2007

The Weekend

One was crushed by betrayal. One, lost in a world of women, had never known the friendship of men. A young one had the courage to show himself in front of his girlfriend’s father, and the father had the wisdom to invite him in. Another one brought his wounded soul that had sent him to the company of prostitutes where he could hide from relationships. Two were brothers, with rage and resentment stacked up like so much cordwood till they could no longer see each other on the other side.

So off I went to a BetterMen Retreat.

One was funny. He knew how to tell a joke, but had lost his joy in a fog of endless regrets.

Backing up a minute, you should know that I recently joined a men’s group. I did it when I realized that after a lifetime enjoying the company of men, I no longer had any men friends left. We had grown separate and otherwise occupied with families, work, and geographic challenges -- the too infrequent poker games unable to fill the gaps.

One had a small penis, or so he thought, even without the internet telling him so, insecure in the extreme, and yet he had the balls to speak his fear. Who feels the same? All raised their hands.

On the surface the group is a small bunch of men (but certainly not a bunch of small men), starting out as strangers, who meet once a week under the guidance of a facilitator to give each other support, advice, counsel, and straight talk. Along the way, some camaraderie and friendship develop. The weekend was just like the group, only a whole lot more. I mean A WHOLE LOT MORE. For one thing, instead of eight men, there would be thirty-five or so, spending the better part of three days in a camp in the woods.

Architect, lawyer, caterer, cab driver, executive, teacher, builder, filmmaker, writer, actor, computer geek, fitness instructor and more. Men of the arts, men of business, men who worked with their minds, and men who worked with their hands. Men.

I couldn’t believe I was going to do this. Of the first-timers there, at 61, I was the oldest. The youngest was 19. We would all spend the weekend together doing . . . uh, I had no idea what we would be doing, but I knew I would be sleeping in a sleeping bag on a bunk bed. Terrific. The 22 year old kid who was my “buddy” for the duration asked if I wanted the bottom or the top bunk. “Are you kidding me?” He gave me the bottom.

A father and son, separated by generations, and separated by the silence that grows between too many fathers and sons. Fathers and sons. My father, my sons.


The first night we arrived, we began by walking to a lodge for a sort of orientation and introduction. We were instructed to walk in silence. As we were walking, I realized that, not having been in the army, and not being a hunter, and having been in the Boy Scouts in Miami Beach, where we got merit badges in such things as beach towel folding, I had never walked silently through the woods as part of a group of men. The only sound was the shuffling and crunching of our footsteps (any animals we might have been hunting were probably falling down laughing at our stealthlessness.) But something inside me started to awaken, as I felt for the first time the feeling of being part of a group, a cadre, a tribe of men, come together for some unknown manly purpose and/or ritual. I wasn’t an old guy, I was an elder among these men, and I felt pretty cool.

One was a sage, who spoke so little and said so much.


Later, we sat in a large circle around a huge campfire. Our leader read us a most inspiring poem*, and we listened and talked and smoked . . . . . . . cigars. (I bet you thought I was going to say “a peace pipe,” didn’t you?) Yes, cigars were passed around for any and all, and no one commented on the smell or the health risks. Shit, we were men, and this is what men do. (Note to self: pick up some Febreze.)

So many husbands and fathers who couldn’t find a way to show their wives and children how much they loved them. And way too many broken marriages and open wounds that wouldn’t heal.

And so it went for three days. You want details? Here they are: we ate, we smoked, we kidded and we cried, we felt our pain, vented our rage, and we played and celebrated, but above all, we laughed -- such laughter that I have shared only in the company of men -- laughter that I haven’t known for way too many years, that primal expression of joy at being alive and secure among friends. And in this congregation I found, as did many others, a refuge from the Four Horsemen of the Lost Nuts-- Worry, Doubt, Fear and Regret.

Men. Isolated and disconnected, holding on to and hiding such anger and grief, the depths of which their women have no inkling.

I’m sorry. I won’t give you my ironic spin, my cynical eye, my perspective as an outsider looking in at life around me, as I usually do. Not this time. This time I was in the thick of it, and it felt good. Also, I won’t spill the beans on what went on in the lodge, while we walked, in our groups, and around our fires. You see, next time, and there will definitely be a next time, I hope to bring some other men, perhaps my boys, and have them discover in unknown territory, the men that they are and the better men they could become.

“You are perfect,” he said, as I poured out my grief on his shoulder. No man, or woman for that matter, has ever told me I was perfect. And so I was, and so I am.
Aho.

That was my weekend. How was yours?

(* The poem that was read on the first evening is called The Invitation, by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. You can find it at http://kalimunro.com/invitation.html. If it doesn’t move you, you are either not breathing or can’t find your glasses.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you men just male-bond or do you have a certain intent or do you just drink and fart? No ladies all weekend? What does your current squeeze think about this?

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in this guy group - what have you learned about yourself so far?

The Old Guy said...

Dear SugarB,

It's more than just male bonding in the traditional beer and bowling way. For a start, there's no booze and no drugs, unless you count plenty of Advil. The object of the weekend is for us to discover a better way to contact other men, and together, help each other find the road to becoming better men. Ms. Squeeze is totally with me on my journey, especially since post BetterMen Weekend sex beats the hell out of make-up sex any day.

The Old Guy said...

Hey Another Guy,

I've learned that it's never too late to discover and travel down a path to being a better husband (or boyfriend), father, and man. For specifics about the men's groups or more specific details about my personal discoveries, please email me. But for a start, there's a book coming out soon you might want to read, "Hold on to Your N.U.T.s" , by Wayne Levine. I think you can order it from the BetterMen.org website.

Ok, that's enough personal endorsements without being paid.

Anonymous said...

Considering your past experiences with women, I'd love to hear more about the current Ms. Squeeze and how she compares to the others....

The Old Guy said...

Lemon Wedge,

Great identity name. Interesting question there, as it poses a dilemna. Is it wise to write about a current girlfriend in a public forum? Will I be honest? Will she smother me while I sleep, or even worse, go Lorena Bobbit on me? Let me think on this a bit. Look for something in the blog

Anonymous said...

I ask because I had an experience last year when I was involved in a similar mens group and got real about myself and my failings and how I had caused a relationship with a very special woman to fail and I thought about going back to her with my new self and starting over. I was just curious if your new better-man self thinks about going back to make it right with the past one. I'm a guy your age in San Francisco, by the way, or I'd invite you out for a beer (and a cigar!)

The Old Guy said...

Lemon,

I'd love to talk with you about this, but I think it's beyond the scope of this blog. Please email me, and we'll chat. BTW, one of my sons lives in SF, so that beer and cigar are not out of the question.

unclemilt@earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

I don't know about this men's retreat. From all your writing so far, you have yet to accept any responsibility for any of your relationship failings after your marriage, in any way, shape, or form, so what's the point? You talk about a women who loved you, you were worried about ruining it, and then it was all her fault. And know you're with a women who can suck off chrome, but you won't give your heart. What's up?

The Old Guy said...

Hey J.R.,

This is not my diary you are reading. All the fiction I write is true, and all the truth I write is fiction. Also, these stories are not all in chronological order, so you actually know nothing about my current girlfriend, be it truth or fiction.

As far as love goes, sometimes you fall for the wrong person and are blind to the warning signs that maybe this person might not be who you think she is. These things happen, or so I hear.

Arturo said...

Hey Uncle Milt:

I'd be interested in getting a little more information on your experience with the Bettermen's Retreat, I'd email you, but couldn't figure out how, hence the post.

Thanks,

Art